What is covid-19? What has happened in the pandemic?
The coronavirus is a family of viruses. This family of viruses includes the common cold, SARS and MERS. In December 2019, a pneumonia outbreak was reported in Wuhan, China. The outbreak was linked to covid-19, which is a new type of coronavirus. Since then, the virus has spread worldwide – hundreds of thousands are dead and hundreds of millions have lost their jobs.
Because covid-19 is a new virus, not that much is known. At this point, the situation is as follows:
- It’s highly contagious and is transmitted via droplets of saliva
- The virus has spread to every corner of the world
- There’s no cure. Infected people need to hope that their immune system can fight it off
- Scientists are hurriedly working on a vaccine
- The only solution that we have is social distancing
When we listen to politicians, they talk about the pandemic being done with in a few months. People often talk about “When life returns to normal.” This isn’t surprising as social distancing really sucks. Staying at home is no fun for anyone. Travel and holidays have been completely stopped. Even worse, hundreds of millions have lost their jobs.
The key point is that we really don’t how the pandemic will end. We don’t know when a vaccine will come and how effective it will be. We have no idea how long social distancing will be with us. The longer the pandemic goes on, the more it looks like social distancing will be with us for a long time.